Monday, January 14, 2013

my somewhat resolution

I don't know about you but I know I love to read magazines. I also love to tear out all the awesome recipes and home projects/crafts that I think are great and save them. I also love putting those ideas in a binder so they are organized for when I get around to them...and there they sit. Well not any more. I have decided that I am going to actually start making some of the food in these recipes. I am going to do some of the crafts (when seasonally appropriate...all those Christmas ones will have to wait another year!). I am going to take advantage of the fact that we have Erapie here to play with LL while I indulge my creative side. I am going to spend entire days cooking, or crafting and not feel guilty about it and if nothing else hopefully by doing all of this I will get out of the dinner rut. Yep. This always happens about this time of year. The grill has been put away for a few months and we are stuck in our rotation of dinners. I always say I am going to meal plan and get organized so we can have more options but I loose interest in that idea the moment it is thought. Well now is my chance and here we go. I tried 2 new recipes the other day from "the binder" (oooohhh I think it needs a name- lets brainstorm binder names everyone) Though these were not dinner recipes. One was a success and the other a failure. On the up side one failure means one less recipe in "the binder"! The failure was banana peanut butter muffins. The banana muffin part was very dry and not very tasty or flavorful and the peanut butter was just a glob of peanut butter. The recipe called for putting in a little batter then put a tblsp of PB on top then pouring more batter over. Well with the dry muffins then the cooked chunk of peanut butter it was not appetizing at all. Even LL who will eat anything wont eat these. So that recipe is outta "the binder" and in the trash. The other recipe which was a success was for Zucchini coins. I made a  mix of breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese (there way probably other stuff too that I cannot remember), set it aside, put 1 egg beaten in a different bowl and set it aside, and then 1/4 cup of flour in a 3rd bowl and set it aside. I cut the Zucchini into small disks dipped each disk in the flour then the egg then then the bread crumb mix. I lined them on a cooking rack...(you were supposed to spray the coins with olive or veggie oil but I forgot this step) and then baked them. I over cooked them so they were a little brown/black (this is where I think the oil would have helped) but they were pretty good. Once they were done the recipe calls for you to use a marinara sauce for dipping. I thought they were pretty good without the dip and LL loved them. Even though they were burned she ate 4 to 5 of them (they were little). So that recipe will get to stay and I will make it again and the next time I will remember the oil. It was great though because LL was content with them and I can see using them as her "chips" they also freeze well before the baking and then you just have to thaw a few and throw them in the oven when needed. Overall I will call it a yummy success!

1 comment:

QRV said...

We do the Zucchini things here too, and the kids LOVE them! As for the muffins... I would have put all the batter in then a spoonful of the PB, that way the muffin will swell around the PB.... but if your muffin was dry... then to heck with it... maybe try a banana bread recipe and just put it in muffin cups...

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and leaving comments! Comments make us feel loved. lol