Monday, June 11, 2012

ramblings about Dad's

First I will start by updating that yesterday ( ok Saturday now) we went to a party where we brought rice krispie treats. We made them using all knockoff stuff but they turned out great. It was S's first time making them and he did awesome. I was supposed to make them but then Little Lady demanded I feed her instead of S so he took over and did a great job. We made two batches and only brought home 2 treats. Actually we were a little sad by this because now we have to make them again if we want any. Oh well, we don't need the calories anyways. Another positive of yesterday we were lost and 1 hr late but we were only off by 1 street! So we kinda knew what we were doing. C came to get us at a Starbucks and lead us the rest of the way. Thanks C!!

Ok so the real reason I planned on posting the other day. As I was washing the dishes. Yes I am very envious of all of you with dishwashers out there. I miss mine and as we learned from watching Zombieland rule # 32 enjoy the little things! So anyways since we have to wash everything and that includes what feels like a million bottles a day, ok in reality it is only 6 but each one has 5 pieces, it gives a person a lot of time to themselves. S was entertaining Little Lady and it was so sweet. He was singing to her, hugging her, lifting her up and getting lots of giggles out of her. I couldn't help thinking about how these are important moments. These are moments we do not want to forget. I wonder if any of these songs will become the song she remembers singing with Daddy.  He really is doing a great job with her and has more patience with her than I do sometimes. Later this same day I was giving Little Lady a bath and singing to her as is a must when you are trapped in the bathroom for 30 minutes with a happy little baby splashing away like it is the best thing in the world. Now after trying to think of songs I stumbled upon the song my dad and I used to sing all the time. So of course I started singing Zipidee do dah to Little Lady and when I got to the part about the blue bird on the shoulder it made me smile and laugh and cry. At this point my dad used to pretend to shoo the blue bird away and say "get off there, get off there". When I was little I used to laugh at this. As I got older I would get mad he was interrupting my song. But either way I remember every moment of that song and always hear his voice saying it. Now this is special because my dad is not doing his best. He has been on dialysis a long time now and I think it is safe to say that he is not himself a lot of the time and no one really gets to hear his voice anymore. He doesn't tell jokes, he doesn't sing, and doesn't really do much talking at all. We all miss it. This one memory triggered so many more. Memories of bike rides to grandmas, of getting Dairy Queen, riding my bike in the basement at Daddy's work, of running under the snow as he would use the snow blower on the drive way and the list goes on. Of course there are those memories of getting in trouble. Ok honestly there is only one of those I can remember and it is probably because he was screaming at me from the top of an 8ft ladder, shaking his finger and shaking it so hard that the ladder was shaking (I was probably 13 or 14) and the whole time all I could think was I will be in even more trouble if he falls off that ladder. Now I believe that that was probably over cleaning my room though that is not the part that sticks out too much. It seems most of the time I was in trouble over my room and you know it must have been bad if Dad was called in to issue the discipline. Mom usually handled that sort of thing. Now as we have our Little Lady I wonder what will be her favorite memories of growing up. What sorts of things will she think she has forgotten about and they suddenly return to her when she doesn't expect it. I have a great Dad. One that I miss very much while we are gone. I am glad I have all these fond memories of our times together and I am truly happy to have a chance to raise our Little Lady in the hopes that she will have such awesome memories to look back on as she gets big. I know that her Dad is doing a great job with her and these are things that I wont forget and plan to remind her about them later on. Wow what an adventure we really are on. Life is wonderful.  So hopefully you can enjoy your day and maybe look back with fondness on some memories you have of your parents growing when you were growing up. I know it made me smile as I thought about the great times I had growing up and the great times we are having now as Little Lady is growing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Stop it with the making me cry!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your blog today and it reminded me of my many reflections on my Dad too. If you ever decide to shut down your blog, not that I am suggesting you do so, make sure you have a hard copy of your writings. Some day you will look back and read your reflections. I find it very peaceful and calming. Take care and keep on writing.

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and leaving comments! Comments make us feel loved. lol