Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Amman so far

Well we are here. We have a great house. Although none of our stuff. Our cats arrived and seem no worse for the wear. After 2 weeks we have a few friends, can sort of get around town, and have a baby that is back to sleeping through the night (most nights). We can give directions to our house, which is more complicated than you think. Here is a sample of what telling someone where you live is like (they don't use or know road names) we live in between circle x and circle y going west from x count 8 streets, make a right, see construction, 4th house after construction, labeld 6. we are on the 4 floor but push 3 in the elevator and no we don't have apartment numbers it is the one near the elevator. We will just turn the light on. Then you hope your neighbor doesn't turn on their light too. This is only made simple because we are near a main road and don't have to give too many other roads descriptions as well. We can find the grocery store and even shop in it, using some creative thinking as we try to read Arabic and convert oz to ml, lbs to kg and Jordanian Dinars to American Dollars. To be quite honest just being able to drive here is an accomplishment. One I have yet to experience. I have to get a car first, the loaner that we have just has S's name on it. One friend describes driving as down hill skiing where you slalom from one side to the other and don't worry about what is behind or beside you only what is in front. S describes driving as doing everything you always wanted to do in America but it is illegal there. Another friend simply states that after being here you understand why middle eastern cab drivers drive like they do. It's all they know. Well I have nothing to add to those descriptions because well they are fairly accurate. But should you venture here know that just becuase you are in moving traffic doesn't mean the cab in front will not slam on the breaks and pull over anywhere if they think there is a chance at a fare. Oh and much to our disappointment the "ice cream truck" is not an ice cream truck at all it is the propane guy. Still every time you hear that lovely melody it makes you run to the window just in case but it is always the same and it is never ice cream.

Little Lady's Opinion of the day and of Amman: People are handsy- everyone reaches to touch me even if we don't know them like the grocery bagger guys. thanks people I had a cold after only being here 3 days. They don't have my formula so my tummy is upset anyways while I wait for it to get here because my Grandma had sent some to me. I am stuck laying on the floor most of the day with the same few toys. Mommy keeps trying to give me "different" ones but I kindly let her know that I have seen that one already. I am patiently waiting for my toys to get here. I am a little bored here too. Mommy and I used to get out everyday and pretty much all day and now we are stuck here unless my friend B's Mommy comes and gets us. He is a nice kid kinda quiet so I do all the talking and he doesn't really like crinkly toys. I love crinkly toys so this works out because I do not have to share. We went swimming with B one day that was fun. I think we will have to do that more often. Today is my 6 month birthday. I have been with Mommy and Daddy half a year already and you know what Mommy did? She thought she would give me carrots!!! YUCK!! I tried them. I took a few bites and then she tried to stick them in my cereal. Well I was too smart for that. I decided I did not need to eat the cereal either. Now to make the day complete I will keep rolling over the minute Mommy walks out of the room and scream because I "can't" get back so she has to come flip me. Today is a great day to be six months old.

 
This is what our view is like at night

Well I think this is a pretty good catch up and start to our blog about being here. If you like it let us know. If people like it and read it we might continue it. Oh and one last thing I (F) have learned here. The marble floors are slippery when wet. Do not go running after the cat with a squirt bottle at 11:00pm, you will get injured. Hope you have as great of a June 6th as we are having!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll comment. You made me laugh. Good job!

Unknown said...

I loved reading it!

Joelle said...

I always love when little lady shares. Love your blog and look forward to more and seeing the sights of Amman.

Unknown said...

Yay!!! We can do blog-land together!!

Shannon said...

Yes, please keep posting!

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and leaving comments! Comments make us feel loved. lol