Monday, June 9, 2014

My Oh My

 I cannot believe how fast things have been moving. We packed out 2 weeks ago and this is what that looked like...Just imagine a screaming toddler that thinks everyone is stealing her stuff. Yeah we sent her away so we did not have to deal with that. So it really looked like 7 workers, 1 Boab, 2 stressed out Americans, 145 boxes of stuff for the Boat, 5 Airfreight boxes weighing in at 582lbs, 6 pizzas, 3 breadsticks, more bottles of water than I know what to do with, 6 dozen cookies, 2 trucks, and 6 wooden crates.
Air freight!


Getting started


OUr Boab acting like he is doing the work


Getting to the end

Air frieght

half way!

Done
 
EVERYTHING IS PACKED
Now to get it all on the truck



You are probably thinking...ok you survived it. What are your tips? Here are my tips after going through it. If you saw Caroline's tips some will be a repeat but since not everyone saw Caroline's info I figured I can repeat it.

Have snacks and lots and lots of water for the guys. We had 2 12 packs of water and 2 of the liter bottles and it was gone very quickly. Oh and it must be refrigerated. It wasn't and the guys then put them in the freezer to chill quickly.

We fed ours lunch which was pizza and breadsticks. 6 medium pizzas and 3 orders of breadsticks. It was gone pretty quickly.

We didn't have any cardboard prayer rugs at our place but our balcony turned into the smoking break room. So if you have a preference about smoking at your property make sure you have a space for them to go to.

We tipped each of the workers 10JD, because as Caroline says they are driving away with all your stuff. We waited until the end to tip them. They were appreciative however we did not realize that another truck with 3 more workers would show up at the end. So we were not prepared for the extra people. Whoops!

The guys we had all spoke English well and were very good about labeling boxes except which room it came from. SO I have 20 boxes labeled bedding or clothing but no idea which bed or person they belong to. Have a sharpie handy and you can go around writing on the boxes as necessary.

I don't know if this is the case for everyone but our airfreight boxes here were only approx 2 1/2 Ft by 3 1/2 feet or maybe 3x4. They were probably chest height on me. Coming to Jordan we were able to fit a ton of odd size things in our airfreight including an Ironing board. That was not happening. I had to disassemble our baby gates, taking off all the extensions and pegs and it was still a tight fit.

This is a little late in the game for those of you packing out but if you are on your way to Jordan. Just know they do not have mattress boxes so if possible keep yours. Our tempurpedic mattress caused some serious headaches. They finally wrapped the box springs in cardboard and then laid the mattress on it. Wrapped that in cardboard and plastic and made a make shift box for it. Not what I would have liked to have happen but we had no choice. Thankfully we had been prewarned to save TV boxes so we had a large box for our big TV our small one was just placed in a box of clothing and so we hope it makes it.

That's all I can think of right now. I will update it as necessary. I have an airfreight with a 2 year old checklist that I made up. If anyone is interested I can send it to you. I have found that splitting our silverware and dishes in half works to cut weight but give us what we need to get started.

Good Luck and happy moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and leaving comments! Comments make us feel loved. lol