Monday, February 11, 2013

crying it out

Well we started the new bed time routine and the cry it out method with Little Lady 2 1/2 weeks ago and it has greatly improved naps and she is starting to get it at bedtime. Before this I was giving her a bottle and holding her until she fell asleep. Then I would move her to the crib and well most of the time she would wake up and it would start again so we knew it was time for a change. Now I know I should have given up holding her at night awhile ago but I just couldn't do it. She hates to snuggle unless it was night time so I just wanted to hold onto the moment a little longer with her. Then it became unbearable and yeah I was ready. Now the first night we put her to bed and it took two hours, 2 sheet changes, 2 pj changes, and eventually she was asleep only after we gave up and I gave her more milk and snuggled. We had to change the sheets and pjs as she got herself so worked up crying and screaming that she was throwing up. Then during the day the naps went great she was out in 15 minutes or so. Night time # 2 and it was around an hour and only 1 sheet and pj change. YAY for improvement. Then S went out of town...It was last minute otherwise we would not have decided on a new routine just before he left. It was a disaster. She was screaming and screaming. There were lots of sheet and Pj changes. it was not a pretty few days. S came home and we got back on track. Here we are two and half weeks into this technique and some nights she is out in a matter of minutes. Other nights it is an hour or so. It all depends on her mood.  The best part of this new routine is that her naps have improved. She went from 1 maybe 2 30 minute naps a day to 2 naps that are 1 to 2 hours long. She is sleeping through the night and if she wakes up she finds her own binky. Before we would have to go back in and give her a binky or even have to cuddle her for a while. In other words life is improving. We have stuck it out and she is getting better. She will even play quietly in her crib if she doesn't feel like sleeping.  Here is our routine:

30 minutes before bedtime: We get her pjs on and all play with quiet toys in her room
Bedtime: She drinks some milk, gets her teeth brushed and we read Llama Llama Red Pajama ( she will actually get the book and let us know when she is ready for bed now)
Then I sing Twinkle Twinkle little star and you are my sunshine and give her a kiss.
Finally I lay her in the crib (she screams) and I shut the door.

S and I are then spending the next few minutes staring at the video monitor making sure she doesn't get sick. Eventually she is asleep and we get to watch TV!!!

 It works but it was tough. We tried the methods where we would go back in once she was screaming but that just made it worse. We talked with other parents and they had similar problems and the best thing was just to leave and not go back. She hated it and we hated it and well we all still hate it but like I said it is getting better and soon it will be great. So if you are going through a routine change just stick with it and be patient. Especially if you have a strong willed child!
The hazard of falling asleep on your binky






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and leaving comments! Comments make us feel loved. lol