Saturday, December 22, 2012

Well that was scary!

Tuesday: So Little Lady is at it again. She is running a fever... Here is how today went. I woke up and went to Arabic class. I hurried from class over to Manny and Venessa's house so I could take pictures of thier family and their new little girl Shiloh. She is only a week old. I love little ones!!! AHHH I am still trying to finish editing the pictures from Charlotte and now I am doing another set of pictures and they would like them ASAP for Christmas cards and since I haven't told you yet we are leaving for Munich on Saturday!!! SO there is a lot going on. Anyways back to our day. I get to their houspend 2 hours taking pictures. Their 18  month old did not want to cooperate with any of our pictures but I am hoping there are a few good ones in there where she did not know I was taking her picture. Also she was not interested at all in getting pictures with her grandparents. She sobbed any time we put her near them. I felt kinda bad for them. After I got home. I grabbed some lunch and sat down to quickly process some of these pictures to get them their Christmas card ones and so I could finish Charlottes pictures. Erapie was taking care of Little Lady so I could do these things and Little Lady was being very fussy. eventually Erapie came to me and sad that LL was feeling warm. I told her yeah she gets that way when she is screaming a lot. No worries, it will go away. Then as the day went on Erapie came to me again saying that LL was warm. So I felt her and yeah she was warm so we took her temp. She was 101. Lovely... Well she just wanted to snuggle with me and so she laid on my chest and fell asleep for 2 hours while I worked on the pictures. This is how I know she is not feeling well. She took a two hour nap and she cuddled. These things never happen. S gets home and we give her tyelnol and off to bed she goes.

Wednesday: She woke up fever free! Yay! Her and I play all day. She doesn't really want to eat anything except Spaghetti (her new favorite) but at least she is eating something. She did take another 2 hour nap this time in her crib. Bonus for me I got Charlotte's pictures and Manny and Venessa's Christmas ones done! As the day wore into evening Little Lady spiked a temp again. This time she is 102 as we are putting her to bed. We again give her some Tyenol and off to sleep she went. That is until 4 am. She woke up screaming. Not crying but screaming. I went in and picked her up and she was hot! I have never felt someone this hot. We take her temp and she is 104. Now we were using an infrared forehead themometer so I go and wake up S. I told him I needed his help taking her rectal temp to be sure because of the number I was getting. We lay her down and she doesn't even fight the themometer. Not a good sign. So we wait the minute and yep 104. I then tell S to call the nurse becuase we are heading to the hospital. I get dressed and start grabbing things for Little Lady in case we are there a while. While S talks to the nurse Little Lady decided it would be a great time to throw up on me so I go and get cleaned up and the nurse agrees we need to head to the hospital. We get there and the pediatrician on call seems a little ticked that we woke him up. He looks at her. Never took her temp. just took our word for it and then he looks at her throat declares that she has tonsilitis and something viral so he gives us a perscription and sends us on our way. We go home and she still has a temp. We give her more Tyelnol and her and I snuggle in bed.

Thursday: We wake up or I wake up to her burning up again at 9. I call the pediatrician and he wants to see her. So we go in at 10:30. I get her to drink some milk once she is awake and within a few minutes she throws that up all over Erapie this time. Poor Erapie. So I clean up Little Lady and Erapie changes clothes and we head to the pediatrician. I took erapie with me so that when he sends me to the pharmacy I can just leave LL in the car. Unfortunately he took one look at her and knew we were in trouble. He told me she needed to be admitted to the hospital and so I called S. He met me at the house where I was packing bags because I knew we would be staying at least one night. We get to the hospital and go to admitting. We get checked in and put down our down payment for the bill. They then send us up to the 6th floor. We get to our room and meet with a pediatrician on call. She orders the tests and the nurses come in to get the blood and urine. Well...they poked around in her hand and I had to lay on her and so did S. They could not get anything. We take a break and then try again. This time I am holding her legs and S has her head. We pin her down and after what feels like hours they start to get some blood. Only instead of pulling a large amount of blood then dividing it into the tubes for testing they leave the port open to drip drip drip into the vials they need. The nurses keep telling us we need to hold her still because they keep missing the drips into the container. Little Lady is screaming and staring into S's eyes. I am glad I was not staring in those eyes. She was pleading with him to make it stop. Eventually they get enough and they put in an IV. They cover her arm in gause to make sure it stays straight and the nurses leave. Little lady wants nothing to do with S. You can tell she is mad at him for doing nothing. Then the nurses come back in and Little lady starts screaming but this time they are moving us to a new room upstairs. So we move to the 7th floor and then start getting settled in. We try to get her to take a nap. She does briefly. Actually she was sound asleep until the moment Dr Medhat came. He showed up and was there a few minutes talking to us about what was going on. Her white count is 31,000 and a normal count is up to 10,000. A few other counts were off but this was crazy high. It means she is fighting a very serious infection. It could still be a UTI, Kidney infection, or even more serious a blood infection. They would have to wait 72 hours for the cultures to finish growing to know what it is exactly but we would continue giving her some heavy antibiotics and more fluid in the IV.  He then decided to listen to her lungs while she was asleep. He did not even move the blanket off of her and she knew he was there. She woke up and started screaming. He quickly left the room along with the nurses and we tried to calm her. Then a nutritionist came in and took my order for dinner. I tried to tell her that LL eats table food but they kept saying that it was for me because the baby needs milk. SO I ordered some sheshwan beef and rice and knew at least we would have some food that night. Also I called Emily to let her know what was going on and that I had Charlotte's picture CD. She sent Mike to come get it when he brought some food for S for Dinner. It was very nice of them to bring us dinner. We really appreciated it. After dinner we tried to settle in for the night. There was not a crib for LL. We had a large hospital bed and a small girl. We made the decision one of us would have to sleep with her and hold her all night. I gave that job to S so that he would have somewhere to sleep. I got LL to sleep then handed her off to him and I settled in on the couch that only fit me if I slept curled up. It was a long long night. The nurses came in every 2 hours to take her temp and blood pressure which she hated and would scream bloody murder and it would take us another hour to calm her and then it would start again.

Friday: In the morning they brought me breakfast and Little Lady was like a completely different baby. The Antibiotics and fluid from her IV must be working because she seemed like herself and she had been fever free for almost 24 hours. When Dr Medhat came in around 11:30 he was shocked with her condition. He could not believe that she was the same baby. So he ordered a new blood test so we could see where he counts were. He could not promise us anything but he wanted to see what was going on and we would still have to wait for the cultures before we could go home. After a long battle and a bunch of screaming we got the blood.Then the results came back and her white count was 7,000!! She was normal again. She had been fever free for over 24 hours and her counts were fine. He actually told us that we might still get to go to Germany. We had given up hope of that, but he says that we should probably go home and pack for the trip. So we took turns running home and packing, doing laundry and etc. Though we still were trying not to get our hopes up because we could not go if her cultures came back with something in them. He promised to come to the hospital in the morning and read the results for us to let us know if we could go... So we tried to get the room cleaned up and get ourselves packed for a quick escape in the morning if we could go. We settled in and hoped to get some sleep but it was a long night either way.

Saturday: The Dr showed up and the cultures were clear!!!! He has no idea what she had or how to recovered so quickly but he thanked God and so did we. He said in 25 years he has never seen such a thing. so LL continues to be our miracle baby and we are very very thankful for that.

1 comment:

QRV said...

I have never had to have any of my three stay over night in the hospital for even one night, so I can only imagine how scared you were! Not to mention being so far away from family! Thank goodness she reacted to the antibiotics so well and you didn't have to stay longer!

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and leaving comments! Comments make us feel loved. lol